Brand: Rocky Patel (Edge)
Shape: Toro (6x52)
Tobacco Origin: Honduras
Wrapper: Maduro
Body: Full (3/3)

Rocky Patel (Edge) Toro Maduro



Description: I have smoked a few of these now and they are always a pleaser. The cigars are the kind of  stick that feel solid when you hold them in your hand. No shoddy construction here. Solid, that's the word for it. Burning through, it began nicely with a husky sort of flavor, which I characterized first as a 'grilled cheese' type of taste, but then revised to an 'artichoke heart' flavor. I found that to be far more accurate, though like many tastes in cigars, it's really only true in a context relative to other cigars.

A third of the way in, it began to bring on a luxurious, chocolatey taste, which was confirmed by my girlfriend. This taste only became stronger as I worked my way on down the line. As I neared the bottom third, and the going got harsher, the chocolate became more subdued, and was taken over by a classic, velvety, smoky flavor. And I know that the smoky aspect may seem obvious, so let me explain. I am referring to the smoky flavor often found in many scotches, though I can not profess to be anything but an admirer in that realm. That may change! Anyway...

The burn on the cigar was pretty fair, and stayed even throughout, good draw, though I did fuss over the wrapper at some points, choosing to relight it at parts, because the wrapper was burning slower than the inside, causing the cigar as a whole to lose some body. Relighting the wrapper quickly solved the trick. I tend to do one or more relights during a cigar, and I enjoy that part of the process. I do not deduct any points for that.

Overall, this cigar is a keeper. Buy a box, buy some for your friends. They are sure to impress.

Ratings:
Appearance and Construction: 15/15
Flavor: 24/25
Smoking Characteristics: 23/25
Overall: 19/20
Value: 13/15
Total: 94/100

Smoking Time: 1 hr 25 min
Price: $117 for a box of 20 ($5.85 per) from Thompson Cigars.